Young ladies everywhere are struggling. On a daily basis they are bombarded with temptations and lies of the enemy and must stand against the powerful, cultural influences all around them. They need to know God’s Word and the Biblical answers to their daily struggles. They need Scriptural teaching in practical areas such as relationships with parents and siblings, honesty, purity, friendships, contentment, life-purpose, and defending the faith. They need godly role-models and accountability. They need vision for what the Lord can do through their life—especially their teen-age years. This is the heart cry of Bright Lights.
As Christians, our responsibility is to make disciples—to win others to Christ, to lead them in a close walk with God, to establish them in the ways of the Lord. As women and young ladies, we have an amazing calling and a huge responsibility to reach out to younger girls and lead them to Christ. And if possible, our desire is to reach them while they are still young; to lay godly foundations while the hearts of young ladies are still soft and moldable; to establish firm convictions in their lives that will be safeguards of protection in the days to come; to prepare them for the teen years, challenging them that their youth can be powerful and fruitful years of ministry for the Lord (not years of irresponsibility and rebellion as the world teaches).
Training in Discipleship
The Bright Lights Leaders Training Course was designed to equip young ladies to begin discipleship groups in their areas. Available on CD, DVD, or live at the Leaders Training Conferences, this course gives practical teaching on discipleship, principles of ministry, reaching the hearts of young ladies, sharing the gospel, and being an example for others to follow. It includes hands-on experience and helpful ideas about how to lead a Bright Lights group. Click here for information about the Leaders Conference.
As of February '13, there are over 500 Bright Lights groups which have started. These groups are located in Alabama, Alaska, Arkansas, California, Connecticut, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Nebraska, New Hampshire, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia, Washington, Wisconsin, West Virginia, and in the countries of Australia, Canada, China, India, Singapore, Malaysia, and Papa New Guinea. Click here to find out if there is a group in your area.
What is a Typical Meeting Like?
If you were to attend a Bright Lights meeting, what would it be like?
At each meeting the leader shares a lesson covering important topics that are essential for girls in order for them to be strong for the Lord in their youth:
Developing a Close Relationship with Parents
Gaining a Clear Conscience
Spending Time in God’s Word Everyday
Keeping Yourself Pure from Polluting Influences
Accepting the Way God Created You
Choosing Wise Friends
Contentment, Sensitivity, Humility, Self-control, and many other practical topics
The lesson is reinforced by testimonies from older girls in the group. At Bright Lights meetings, we also enjoy singing, fellowshipping with likeminded young ladies, listening to biographies of great Christians from history, preparing for future ministry opportunities, enjoying other activities together, and snacks (often with tea in china tea cups).
Each girl receives a Bright Lights binder that she brings with her to the meetings each week. After each lesson, she receives a new handout to add to her binder. The Bright Lights curriculum is organized into eight sets. Click here for a list of lesson topics.
How Will the Leader Benefit from Discipling Younger Girls?
- By teaching these foundations of spiritual strength you yourself will be strengthened. These principles will be fully established in your life. Teaching something always causes the teacher to learn more than the students.
- Though there are many avenues of ministry and many helping roles, Bright Lights will give experience in the most comprehensive fundamental of ministry—how to “disciple”. The great commission is not simply “go and make converts” but “go and make disciples.” Though it is important to use our skills to serve and to supplement other ministries, it is essential for each of us to know how to disciple.
- You will receive experience in many practical skills such as public speaking, writing, communication, research, counseling, and organization.
- It will be excellent preparation for future ministry.
Why does Bright Lights target ages 10-13?
- It’s just before the fork in the road when young people make their choice of which direction they will go. It is before most Christian young people have experienced destructive temptation and serious failure.
- The teen years have incredible potential for ministry and fruitful service for the Lord (I Tim. 4:12). Young people ages 10-13 need to have this perspective and goal in mind as they prepare for these years. They need a solid foundation so that they are ready to face the coming teen years as victorious soldiers for Christ.
- We must not underestimate the capacity of these girls to understand concepts, embrace convictions, and make commitments.
Even though Bright Lights is specifically designed for girls ages 10-13, we encourage older girls to be involved as well. When girls in groups get older they are encouraged to stay as helpers and leaders. This provides valuable assistance and helps to maintain an atmosphere of “positive peer pressure.”
If you have questions please visit our FAQ page - click here
Reports from Other Bright Lights Leaders
From a Leader in Georgia
We’ve been doing Bright Lights for almost a year now. I can’t tell you how much it has helped my understanding of the Scriptures. Also, my relationship with my 3 daughters has been enhanced richly. At first, the thought of leading Bright Lights seemed overwhelming. But it is one of the best investments I’ve made!
From a BL Leader in Texas
God is truly blessing our Bright Lights group! We had three new girls at our second meeting. One of the things that has surprised me the most is how much this ministers to the moms as well. I've had a lot of really nice talks with some of them, and they are all so excited about this ministry. Several of them want to stay around and listen. They sit in the back and I see them nodding their heads enthusiastically.
One of the moms told me last night at our second meeting that her twelve year old daughter came to her during the week after our first lesson on "Being Strong for the Lord in Your Youth" and sat down on the couch next to her. She looked at her mom very seriously and told her that she wanted to live her life for the Lord! They both cried and had a really good talk. I cried when I told my dad about it later. I was just so amazed that God could use someone like me to minister to these girls in this way. I know I shouldn't be surprised when God works, but I was. I guess I wasn't prepared for immediate results to my prayers. I didn't even know this girl very well before I started but she is very sweet and attentive. I'm excited about what God is going to do in her life!
Click here for more reports from leaders…